Caffeine Overdose Symptoms
Caffeine in one form or another is used by about 90% of Americans every single day. How much caffeine you consume can have a direct effect on your health. Know your limits and caffeine overdose symptoms.
5 Caffeine Overdose Symptoms
We’ve all been there…you’re dragging and have a busy day ahead…you need a quick boost. Many of us turn to caffeine.
- First of all, I’ve never known of anyone to die from caffeine overdose. Although death by caffeine sounds unlikely…can it occur and how much is too much? So, about 400mg of caffeine is the point at which most of us can develop caffeine intoxication. What does that mean?
- Start to sweat
- Get Clammy hands
- Feel Heart palpitations
- You can become Irritable, agitated, jittery and it’s hard to sit still
- In its most severe case, it can cause life threatening atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) which can prompt an MI (myocardial infarct) or heart attack.
How do you avoid caffeine overdose symptoms? Your typical 8 oz cup of black coffee (straight up not with syrup, whipped cream, flavorings) has about 95mg of caffeine. Some will have upwards of 150 depending on the type of bean and how it’s processed. So, having 3 cups coffee, depending on the type, and you’re already nearing the range for caffeine intoxication.
By comparison, your typical cup of tea also depends on the type green or black can have anywhere from 30-70mg of caffeine per cup. In tea, a good portion of the caffeine leaches out in the first 30s of brewing. If you want to lower caffeine content, brew for 30s pour off that first batch and re-steep. If you want that caffeine then don’t.
Key points for caffeine in coffee and tea:
1. Don’t overdo it; be in tune with your body and any symptoms of too much caffeine
2. Other than that choose your brew and enjoy!
KEY TERMS & IDEAS:
- Some form of caffeine is consumed by approx 90% of Americans everyday.
- The upper limit of caffeine consumption is 400mg per day. In that range you can experience caffeine intoxication
- Typical 8 oz. cup of coffee is about 95mg of caffeine and an equivalent cup of tea is about 40mg of caffeine.
- Know your limits and the symptoms of too much caffeine: sweating, clammy hands, heart palpitations, anxiety, and irritability to name a few.
LINKS & RESOURCES:
Follow Nada on LInkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/nada-milosavljevic-35b502b9/
Sage Tonic www.sagetonic.com
Sage Tonic on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sagetonic/
“Caffeine content for coffee, tea, soda and more” Mayo Clinic Staff, Healthy Lifestyle/Nutrition and Healthy Eating
“Caffeine Toxicity” Drugs & Diseases / Emergency Medicine, Medscape updated: Aug 21, 2018.
Apple Podcasts: http://bit.ly/SpartanUpShow
Google Play: http://bit.ly/SpartanUpPlay
FOLLOW SPARTAN UP:
Spartan Up on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/spartanuppodcast/
Spartan Up on Twitter https://twitter.com/SpartanUpPod
Producer: Marion Abrams, Madmotion, llc.
Writer and Host: Nada Milosavljevic MD, JD
© 2018 Spartan