Cashews contain almost 100% of your recommended daily intake of copper. Copper is a mineral used by the body for Iron metabolism, energy production, and collagen and connective tissue formation. Cashews also contain the plant sterol beta-sitosterol, which aids in reducing unhealthy levels of cholesterol. As a source of healthy fats, protein, and carbohydrates, cashews make an easy addition to you weekly nutrition plan.
DIY Cashew Milk
By: Andrew Thomas
- 3.5 cups water
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for 8 hours)
- 3 dates, pitted
- 1.5 TSP pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Place cashew in bowl and fill with enough water to cover, soaking for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Discard the soak water from cashews and pour cashews into blender.
- Soak pitted dates for 5 minutes in warm water to soften for blending.
- Discard the soak water from dates and place dates in blender with cashews.
- Add water, vanilla extract, and salt into blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
- Pour blended contents through fine sieve or cheesecloth to remove pulp.
- Pour yourself a delicious glass of homemade cashew milk.
- 2 cups whole raw cashews
1. Place cashews in a bowl and cover with an inch of water.
2. Let sit overnight,
3. Drain water.
4. Place in high powered blender or food processor.
5. Enjoy as a substitute for dairy in dishes such as cream soups, creamy pasta dishes, mousse, and salad dressing.
Vanilla Cashew Milkshake
By: Andrew Thomas
5 minutes, 1 serving, 390 calories per serving, gluten-free, vegan
- 1 frozen banana
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder
- Pinch of salt
- Soak raw cashews in bowl of water for 4-5 hours to soften, if possible.
- Add frozen banana, soaked cashews, maple syrup, water, a pinch of salt and protein powder to blender.
- Blend for 15-20 seconds.
- If consistency is too thick for your liking, add additional liquid and re-blend.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Cashew, Cucumber and Beet Salad
By: Rose Marie Jarry, Master Chef at Kronobar
- 1 cup cashews
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon Mexican spice blend
- Salt and pepper
- 5 cups of raw sliced beets
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped cucumbers
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 teaspoon of water
- Slice the beets and the cucumbers, then put them together in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat up coconut oil in a pan on high heat.
- Roast the garlic for 30 seconds on high heat, and then mix in the rest of Mix A.
- melize, let it cook for an extra 10-15 seconds, and then pour the water into the pan, stopping this caramelizing process.
- Scrape the mix in the pan into the bowl with the beets and cucumbers, then mix.
- Top with lemon juice, then serve.
By: Rob Bresnan
5 minutes, 1 serving, 442 calories per serving, vegan, gluten-free.
- 2 cups Medjool Dates, pitted and chopped (about 20 dates)
- 2 cups cashews
- ½ cup almonds
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons water
- Chop dates, cashews, almonds, cocoa powder, and sea salt in food processor/blender. Pulse until chopped.
- Add coconut and vanilla extract and pulse. Add water until mixture is moist but not sticky dough.
- Press into 9-inch square dish. Chill for one hour and serve.
Berries and Cashew Cream
Rose Marie Jarry, Master Chef at Kronobar
10 minutes + 12h soaking time. 4 servings, vegan, raw, gluten-free
Simply blend cashews into a delicious dessert topping.
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup pre-soaked raw cashews (12h +)
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon egg white replacement powder (optional)
- Soak the cashews in water for a minimum of 12 hours. Keep them in the refrigerator during this process.
- Drain the cashews and blend them with all the other ingredients, except the fruits, on high speed. We want to have the smoothest texture possible.
- Place some fruits onto the serving plates and add a big tablespoon of the whipped cashew cream on top of them.
- Serve right away!