Adversity. For JR Martinez, he faced adversity when 34% of his body was burned. The Humvee he was driving hit an antitank mine in Iraq. Do you define yourself by your scars or do you conquer all obstacles with mindset, tenacity and humor? This week we speak with Dancing with the Stars champion JR Martinez about the art of adversity and about Joe dancing to Donna Summer.
Overcoming Adversity Lessons
- Do you follow? Do you to break off lead? Don’t be a sheep.
- Adversity? Obstacles in your way? SO WHAT. Just do it.
- You will regret the things NOT done, rather than the other way around.
- ASK: Are you happy where you are at? If not, change it.
- Always show up your best self.
- Control the reaction to your environment.
- Your life is a book – be the author!
- Bring people into your circle that challenge you.
- Pay attention and enjoy the small details of life —the learning moments
- Ask yourself what’s your legacy: Take the path less traveled.
This episode of “Spartan Up!” is sponsored by Athletic Greens. Get 20 travel packs free when you order at https://athleticgreens.com/spartan
00:58 athletic greens intro
1:27 interview begins
2:00 34% of JR’s body burned – understanding identity
2:45 Mindset vs. physical appearance
4:00 Joining the army
5:55 Giving back to the country
7:00 How life shapes you
8:45 Heading to war
10:00 Not giving up
11:55 Athletic Greens break
14:17 Interview continues
15:00 Joe dancing to Donna Summers
17:00 The tale of Shackleton
20:00 Reacting to triggers
22:00 Don’t become stuck in rut
23:00 Who do you bring into your circle
25:00 How to find inspiration in everything
26:00 Journey not the destination
26:16 Sefra, Angel, Johnny & Joe discuss the interview
Apple Podcasts: http://bit.ly/SpartanUpShow
Google Play: http://bit.ly/SpartanUpPlay
FOLLOW SPARTAN UP:
Spartan Up on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/spartanuppodcast/
Spartan Up on Twitter https://twitter.com/SpartanUpPod
Producer – Marion Abrams, Madmotion, llc.
Hosts: Joe De Sena with Johnny Waite, Sefra Alexandra, Col. Tim Nye and guest host Angel Sanz.
Synopsis – Sefra Alexandra
Production Assistant – Andrea Hagarty
© 2018 Spartan