Quinoa (keen-wah) comes to us from the Andes, where it has long been cultivated by the Inca. Botanically a relative of swiss chard and beets rather than a “true” grain.
But it can be eaten like a grain. It’s long been used as an energy source for humans. It’s an excellent fueld source.
Here is a simple recipe for chocolate quinoa energy bites. It makes roughly 12-15 snacks that are perfect to have on the go when you need a boost.
- 1 cup cooked white quinoa, chilled
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup Yumbutter Organic Superfood Peanut / Almond / Cashew / or Sunflower Butter
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate (80% or darker, chopped)
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp pink himalayan sea salt
- Line a small baking sheet with wax paper
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Using your hands, roll the mixture into individual small balls slightly smaller than a golf ball.
- Place balls onto lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for 4 hours or overnight. Enjoy straight out of the freezer.
- Pull desired amount out of the freezer roughly 10 minutes before you wish to enjoy it. This will allow it to mostly thaw. Great as a pre or post workout fuel, or as a sweet treat to curve cravings.
You don’t have to keep quinoa bites bland. You can get as exquisite as you aspire.