Believe it or not, the Spartan Race season is well under way. But there are still plenty of podiums left to chase and hundreds of personal obstacles ready to conquer. With over hundreds of races all over the world, it’s no surprise Spartans are packing their bags, hitting the road, hopping on a train, or catching a flight. But don’t let your travel plans derail your healthy eating and performance goals. Check out these helpful hints for finding no-fuss nutrition on the go (yes, even at the gas station). Or go one step further and use our grocery list to pack plenty of healthy snacks for traveling into your Spartan Race schedule.
Healthy Snacks for Traveling: Road Trip
Believe it or not, gas station food doesn’t have to mean settling for Ho Hos and chips. Here’s how to fuel up your body the right way when your choices are limited:
- Find the right station. Not every station is going to have good eats. Search out ones with a large building that increases your odds of variety.
- Search the center for a cooler, which will usually hold hard-boiled eggs, hummus and pretzels, yogurt, cheese sticks, and hand-held fruits like apples and bananas.
- Premade salads are popping up more and more (but please don’t try to eat a salad while driving).
- Look for low-sodium vegetable juice.
- Jerky, nuts, trail mix, dried fruit, and bars round out the list.
Healthy Snacks for Traveling: Airport
Think you have to pay three times as much for food when traveling? Think again. Any of the foods on our grocery list below will make it through airport security (although be aware that nuts and seeds require a quick swabbing by the TSA). Not packing your own? You’ll be amazed at the increase in healthy snacks for traveling at the airport. Fresh salads, sandwiches, and soups are available almost anywhere. You can even check out the airport’s website beforehand and see what restaurants and food establishments they offer. This also helps avoid temptations. In some airports there are even vending machines with delicious and fresh “salad in a jar” options that are prepared and stocked fresh daily! Beware juice bars such as Jamba Juice; some of the products they sell are the equivalent of birthday cake in a cup. Ask about their no-sugar-added options and opt for the veggie-based ones.
Make Your Healthy Snacks for Traveling Go the Extra Mile
Hard-core health nuts leave nothing to chance. Here are great options that can be shoved into a bag or cooler without worry.
- Hard-boiled eggs (peel them ahead of time for even easier access)
- Epic brand bars
- Deli meats (nitrate-free)
- String cheese
- Tuna, salmon, or chicken pouches
- Protein powder
- Almonds (variety of flavors)
- Macadamia nuts
- Homemade trail mix (nuts, seeds, dark chocolate)
- Homemade energy bites
- Baby carrots
- Sugar snap peas
- Dried fruit
- Sliced cucumber
- Sliced peppers
- Larabar fruit and nut bars
21 meals planned for you. Download a free Spartan Meal Plan.