Congratulations, Spartans. You’ve survived through three weeks of our Spartan Race Stadium Series Training Plan. For most of you, you are now into race week.
Whether you are racing this weekend, or you’re still building for fitness or for a later race day, you have earned this week of active rest and tapering. When you enter into an unloading week such as this, you want to keep your intensity the same as you plan to race, but you will decrease your volume. What does this mean? Your weight will remain the same from the previous three weeks, but our sets and repetition schemes are decreasing. This will continue to challenge and build your cardiovascular base and maintain your current fitness level, but will save your muscles so they can perform at their maximum potential come race day.
Throughout today, and the remainder of this week, notice how the exercises and the weights that you found challenging and near impossible three weeks ago are now more familiar and maybe even perceived as “light”. This week is designed to give your body that “ah ha” feeling.
Pancake Swings – 6 Sets of 30 seconds work, 15 seconds rest at a 9 RPE
- Start in your hip hinge, grasp the pancake and pull it directly behind you. As your hips thrust forward and you stand up, allow your arms to swing upward while maintaining straight arms as the pancake comes to shoulder height.
REST 2 MINUTES BEFORE CONTINUING ON TO THE FOLLOWING SUPERSET
1 – Pull Ups – 2 Sets of 4 Reps – 9 RPE
- Beginner – Band Assisted or Jumping
- Intermediate – Body Weight
- Advanced – Towel or Rope Pull Ups
1 – Deadlifts – 2 Sets of 6 Reps – 9 RPE
1 – Double Arm Suitcase Carry – 2 Rounds of 100 meter Walks – 9 RPE
- Advanced – Try Single Arm
- Tip: Make sure to keep your torso upright and your hips and shoulders square.
REST 2-5 MINUTES BETWEEN EACH SET BEFORE MOVING TO THE FOLLOWING SUPERSET
2 – Bent Over Row – 2 Sets of 8 Reps – 7 RPE
- Intermediate-Advanced: Try holding the pancake in one hand.
2 – Lat Pull Down – 2 Sets of 8 Reps – 7 RPE
- If you do not have access to a Lat Pull Down machine, hold a towel or a light band overhead in both hands, and pull your elbows to inside while the towel or band lowers to your chest.
2 – Lunges – 2 Sets of 8 Reps (Each Leg) – 7 RPE
- Beginner – Body Weight
- Intermediate – Spartan Pancake at Sides
- Advanced – Spartan Pancake overhead
REST 30 SECONDS – 1 MINUTE BETWEEN ROUNDS, NO REST BETWEEN EXERCISES
Cardio Burn Out:
- Incline Treadmill/ Hill walking – 6 Rounds
- ¼ mile incline walking with your Spartan bucket or pancake
- ¼ mile incline walking with no weight
- End with one final (7th) round of ¼ mile incline walking
Try to keep your RPE between 8-9 throughout this final burn out.
Pull out your favorite Acumobility SPARTAN Ball or Acumobility SPARTAN Eclipse Roller. Spend anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes on each muscle, depending on tightness.
Today, you will want to release your:
- Lats (under your shoulder blades)
- Pecs (below the front of your shoulder socket)
- Calfs (lower leg)
- Hamstrings (back of upper leg)
A more advanced Spartan may also require a hip flexor releases just above your front hip bone.
Ready for tomorrow?
Start Stadium Sprint Training Plan from the beginning?
Subscribe to the Spartan Workout of the Day to get your week of workouts and a featured exercise sent to your inbox each week.