As we begin week 2 of our Spartan Race Stadium Series Training Program, our aim for this week is to continue to build strength through the exercises that we used in our foundation training. To do this, we must increase our weights, and decrease our reps. Optimal strength gains are seen with two to six repetitions in a given set.
But Spartans don’t need just strength, they need endurance as well. For our endurance exercises, we will be working in a higher rep scheme with the same weight that we used last week.
Pancake Swings – 6 Sets of 30 seconds work, 15 seconds rest at a 9
- RPE Start in your hip hinge, grasp the pancake and pull it directly behind you. As your hips thrust forward and you stand up, allow your arms to swing upward while maintaining straight arms as the pancake comes to shoulder height.
REST 2 MINUTES BEFORE CONTINUING ON TO THE FOLLOWING SUPERSET
1 – Pull Ups – 5 Sets of 5 Reps – 9 RPE
- Beginner – Band Assisted or Jumping
- Intermediate – Body Weight
- Advanced – Towel or Rope Pull Ups
- REST 2-5 MINUTES BETWEEN EACH SET
1 – Deadlifts – 5 Sets of 6 Reps – 9 RPE
REST 2-5 MINUTES BETWEEN EACH OF THE FIVE SUPER-SETS BEFORE GOING TO NEXT EXERCISE
Double Arm Suitcase Carry – 5 Rounds of 100 meter Walks – 9 RPE
- Advanced – Try Single Arm
- Tip: Make sure to keep your torso upright and your hips and shoulders square.
REST 2-5 MINUTES BETWEEN EACH SET BEFORE MOVING TO THE FOLLOWING SUPERSET
2 – Bent Over Row – 4 Sets of 12 Reps – 7 RPE
- Intermediate-Advanced: Try holding the pancake in one hand.
2 – Lat Pull Down – 4 Sets of 12 Reps – 7 RPE
- If you do not have access to a Lat Pull Down machine, hold a towel or a light band overhead in both hands, and pull your elbows to inside while the towel or band lowers to your chest.
2 – Lunges – 4 Sets of 12 Reps (Each Leg) – 7 RPE
- Beginner – Body Weight
- Intermediate – Spartan Pancake at Sides
- Advanced – Spartan Pancake overhead
REST 30 SECONDS – 1 MINUTE BETWEEN ROUNDS, NO REST BETWEEN EXERCISES
Cardio Burn Out:
- Incline Treadmill/ Hill walking – 5 Rounds
- ¼ mile incline walking with your Spartan bucket or pancake
- ¼ mile incline walking with no weight
- End with one final (6th) round of ¼ mile incline walking
Try to keep your RPE between 8-9 throughout this final burn out.
Today, you will want to release your:
- Lats (under your shoulder blades)
- Pecs (below the front of your shoulder socket)
- Calfs (lower leg)
- Hamstrings (back of upper leg)
A more advanced Spartan may also require a hip flexor releases just above your front hip bone.
Ready for tomorrow?
Start Stadium Sprint Training Plan from the beginning?
Subscribe to the Spartan Workout of the Day to get your week of workouts and a featured exercise sent to your inbox each week.