This is it, Spartan. Whether you are in your Spartan Race Super race week, or you are building towards new levels of fitness, you are now into your active recovery week. This week is about allowing your body to catch up to the demands we’ve placed on it during these past 3 weeks of intense training.
Starting today, we are dropping down the sets and repetitions of all of our exercises. We will not be decreasing our weight from what we’ve been doing throughout these last 21 days. Notice how the exercises that were once considered a challenge to you have now become manageable or even skilled. This week is your reward for your serious commitment.
This workout is designed with strength and hypertrophy supersets. Complete each exercise with corresponding numbers once before beginning back at the start of the set. Adequate sets, repetitions, and intervals are listed based on the aim of each exercise.
1 -Dead Hang – 3x :20 RPE 6-7
1 – Pancake Single Arm Swing – 3x :20 each arm RPE 6-7
- Start in your hip hinge, grasp the pancake with one hand, keeping both shoulders square to the ground and pull it directly behind you. As your hips thrust forward and you stand up, allow your arm to swing upward while maintaining straight arms as the pancake comes to shoulder height. Control through your core as the weight decelerates to the initial pull between your legs. Make sure that your hips and shoulders stay square throughout the entire motion.
Minimize your rest between exercises: 0-30 seconds.
2 – Pancake Dead Lift – 3×5 RPE 8-9
2 – High Pull – 3×5 RPE 8-9
2 – Towel Grip Farmers Carry – 3 x 500m RPE 8-9
- Tip: Don’t have kettlebells or dumbbells? Fill 1-2 milk jugs with water. String a towel through the handle and carry the jugs by only gripping the towels.
Rest: 2-5 minutes between sets.
3 – Single Arm Bent Over Row w/Pancake – 2×10 RPE 6-7
- Perform this with one hand braced on a platform while moving the other arm in the row motion.
3 – Reverse Lunge to Step Up – 2×10 RPE 6-7
Rest: 1-2 minutes between sets.
1 – :05 Hang to Pull Up – 3×3 RPE 6-7
1 – Sprint 53100 m
Minimize your rest between exercises. 0-30 seconds max.
- Today, you will want to release your:
- Lats (under your shoulder blades)
- Pecs (below the front of your shoulder socket)
- Calfs (lower leg)
- Hamstrings (back of upper leg)
A more advanced Spartan may also require a hip flexor releases just above your front hip bone.
Tomorrow’s workout: Day 23
Start from the beginning: Day 1