Summer desserts are important. Outdoor activity seems to create the ultimate setting for the desserts of summer. Summer is not the time for hot ovens and steamy kitchens. Summer is the time for zero hassle desserts. No reason to work up a sweat. Few ingredients. Few steps.
These are great summer recipes, for when you need to make some healthy desserts for the masses:
Chia seeds soaked overnight turn into a simple breakfast pudding, similar in consistency to tapioca.
- 2/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened soymilk, almondmilk or ricemilk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons currants or chopped dried figs or dates
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
Put chia seeds, almond milk and vanilla in a 1-quart glass jar with a lid. Tighten the lid and shake well to thoroughly combine. Or, stir together seeds, almond milk and vanilla in a bowl. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, stir well. Spoon into bowls and top with fruit and coconut.
Serves 6, dairy free, gluten free, raw, vegan, vegetarian, high fiber, wheat free.
Per Serving: 280 calories (70 from fat), 7g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (7g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 3g protein
Note: We’ve provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we’re cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
Coco-Lemon Banana No-Bake Pie
15 minutes + 20 minutes of cool down, 8 servings, 250 calories per serving, gluten-free, vegan, raw.
- 1 cup gluten free oat flakes
- 1 pinch cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
– 2 lemons juiced
– 1 tablespoon lemon zest
– 4 ripe bananas
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
– 170g (6oz) creamed coconut
This is a super simple and fancy desert that you can make to impress and satisfy your guests.
- With a fork mash 3 of 4 of the bananas in a bowl.
- Heat up a double boiler and let the creamed coco soften. When it is soft, add the mashed banana, lemon juice, and vanilla. Mix well and set aside.
- To prepare the crust, ground the oat flakes in a blender and pour into a bowl. Add all the other ingredients from the crust into it and mix well until the oil and sugars are well incorporated to the oat.
- Grease a pie pan and pour the oat mixture into it. Flatten it with your hand and press it. Put the crust into the freezer for 5 minutes, then remove and pour the banana mixture into the crust and flatten it with a spatula.
- Peel and slice the 4th banana and lay some banana slices on top of the pie. Let it cool down 15-20 minutes in the freezer before cutting it. You can keep the pie either in the freezer or a fridge.
3 hours, 6-8 servings, vegetarian, gluten free
- 1 cantaloupe
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Slice the cantaloupe in half, remove the seeds and scoop out the meat and place in a blender.
- Add remaining ingredients to blender and blend.
- Pour puree into Popsicle molds and freeze. No molds? Try an ice-cube tray with toothpicks.
Live Spartan 24/7. Download the Spartan Way of Life E-book